Sunday, February 12, 2012

Why conservatives don't trust Romney

Byron York reviews Gov. Romney's speech to CPAC:
He began by joking that he never read Burke or Hayek in college.  "When I was your age, you could have told me they were infielders for the Detroit Tigers," Romney told the students in the crowd.  Instead, Romney said, "My path to conservatism came from my family, my faith, and my life's work."
While liberalism is an emotion, conservatism is a philosophy.  A person who does not appreciate philosophy will not reliably distinguish between approaches to governing which history has shown to succeed and those which are merely politically convenient at the moment.  Romney may have, by Massachusetts' standards at least, conservative instincts.  But, he will never be a conservative.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics